Sunday, January 10, 2010

Luck of the ladybug?

It seems our apartment has become a haven for ladybugs (Is that one word or two? I think it is one word, but I could be wrong!). Over the past month or so, we have found ladybugs all over our apartment. We have no idea how they get in or out! Can ladybugs fit through small crack, like the cracks around windows? We have found them on our ceiling, our windows, in bathtub, and even on our kitchen counters! We have been startled a time or two by a flying ladybug! I spoke to our neighbours and they haven't seen any ladybugs in their apartments. I guess we are just special. I'm not superstitious nor do I think that there are special messages or signs in things, but I was curious to see if ladybugs had any special meaning so I did a little research on the Internet (I don't know how we survived before the Internet!). Asian traditions states that if you catch and release a ladybug, the ladybug will faithfully fly to your true love and whisper your name in his/her ear. Upon hearing the Ladybug's message, your true love will hurry to your side. The number of spots on a Ladybug's back is said to indicate the number of months to pass before the wish for love comes true. Since I am already married and finding out that Husband is not my true love would make things awkward around here, I kept looking. The most popular answer to the question of what ladybugs symbolize seems to be that they are lucky. Killing a ladybug is said to bring misfortune and sadness. I guess, given the number of ladybugs we've had in our apartment, we are going to be really, really lucky.

I know these pictures aren't very good, but they are all I have.


This ladybug was on our ceiling

This one was crawling above our bed

2 comments:

SeƱora H-B said...

My mother-in-law gets hundreds and hundreds of ladybugs in her house in the early fall. They're bad enough that she has to vacuum them up regularly, otherwise they completely take over. Ew! They can definitely get in through the windows and doors. We have only had a few, but that's because we don't live on a farm like my in-laws do.

I'm glad that they're at least supposed to be good luck!

Travis and Mardi said...

I found a whole bunch of lady bugs in our front den in the fall and wondered where on earth they were coming from. Then I found an empty bug bottle stashed behind the piano and discovered from my sweet boys that they had released the dozens of lady bugs they caught because they were sad about them being "captured". Why they thought it was more humane to let them go in the house, instead of outside in their natural habitat has not been fully explained. But, we recaptured the lady bugs and re-released them (outside!) so hopefully there's so sadness or misfortune coming our way!