Friday, June 19, 2009

Service Auction

Last night for Relief Society Enrichment, we had a service auction. I had never heard of a service auction before, and I had my doubts as to how it would turn out, but I went anyway. Boy am I glad I went! What a great activity! It was so much fun and the services that people offered were amazing! Women offered everything imaginable: babysitting, baked bread, house cleaning, haircuts, dinners, quilts, wreath making lessons, jewelery making lessons, photo shoots, tutoring and the list goes on and on. I was amazed at what was offered. The women at my church are extremely talented! The best part was no money changed hands! We were awarded points based on our answers to a questionnaire. We received points for things such as how many things we donated to the auction, how often we exercised (I didn't get points for that one!), service we had given over the past month and even whether or not we brushed our teeth that morning! One woman offered eyebrow waxing, which I desperately wanted! Since moving here to Central Texas, I have tried 4 different waxing places and have not found one I like. Take, for example, my latest attempt to find a great waxing place: I have one eyebrow shorter than the other! Anyway. When this service can up for bidding, I was ready. I had a lot of points and was willing to use all of them. The bidding was intense between me and my friend Sam. Unfortunately for me, she got a ton of points because she has kids, so she was able to out bid me! But it's okay. There are no hard feelings...really...I think. I haven't removed her from my facebook friends yet! At the end of the night, I did end up "winning" a loaf of banana bread, a Christmas wreath making lesson and a super cute child's apron (which I think the girl I nanny will love). This is one of the best Relief Society activities I have been to! It was so fun to hear the good-natured competition during the bidding, and it was great to see what the women had to offer. I cannot wait for the next one...and maybe I will brush my teeth that day so I can get a few extra points!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

to make you feel better about the lopsided eyebrows...shelsea told me that ears and eyebrows are not twins! (that means they shouldn't look identical). does that help?
what service did you bring?

The Samples Sampler said...

I offered babysitting. It's the only thing I can do since I don't sew, or craft or cut hair or do any of the other things people offered!

The Lawlor's said...

We have done that one before too and it was amazing! Can I ask who was in charge of the auction? Was it a girl named Carrie?

Sounds like you are doing well. We just went camping. It was great!

The Samples Sampler said...

No it wasn't a girl named Carrie. I don't know who was in charge of it.

Elyasunshine said...

hind: get babies and you will soon get mor epoints than nay other....

Ella