Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Settling in

Over the last week I have discovered that the only thing worse than packing up an apartment is unpacking one! With a very empty apartment, it was difficult to decide where things should go. I moved my dishes 3 times before finally deciding on their permanent home! I also discovered that I have unpacking ADD! There was half unpacked box sitting on our kitchen floor for about 5 days. If I needed to get into the fridge, I would push the box with my foot toward the cupboard and out of my way. If I needed to get into that cupboard, the box would be nudged back towards the fridge. I finally unpacked it. But to be honest, I kind of miss the box...

Our drive to Texas was an adventure, to say the least! We loaded the truck while it was snowing. Then we left as the snow really started to come down. By the time we hit the highway it was snowing pretty heavily.

The wonderful piles of snow we left behind!


We drove all day. Thankfully the snow lightened up and then stopped altogether. We made a quick stop in Northern Ohio to visit Husband's former pastor and his wife.

Bill and Gail


After a few hours of sleep, we were on the road again. We stopped in Southern Ohio to visit Husband's family. Once again, it was snowing (we were beginning to wonder if the snow would follow us all the way to Texas!) His nephews didn't have school so we were able to visit with them.

Husband and his nephew. He's shooting spiderwebs because he's spiderman.



After the family visit, it was onto Texas through Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas. I am sure you have heard about the ice storm that hit those states. Well, we were lucky to be part it! Thankfully, we were driving through it at the beginning so it wasn't too bad.

Ice build up on our wipers. The whole car was covered in a sheet of ice.


The trees were so heavy with ice that there were broken branches all over the place.

All the highway signs had icicles on them.

The ice stopping falling once we crossed into Texas. The trees were still covered in ice and with the sunlight shining on them, they seemed like they were glowing. It was a beautiful sight. I tried to take a picture but I couldn't quite capture the shimmering. Here's a couple of the ones that turned out alright.



Now, here we are in Texas, wearing shorts and t-shirts and having the windows open in February. Crazy! The boxes are slowly being unpacked. I figure that at the rate we are going, we will have them all unpacked by Christmas!

2 comments:

SongbirdMama said...

Ha ha ha .... don't feel bad. We've been here a little over a month already, and still have boxes in the sunroom and garage that we haven't even thought about unpacking yet.

Melissa said...

oh, I know that feeling, we move just about every year!!