Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The fruit of my labours

There is a new grocery store in town here. I went there today, and I think I am in love! It is one of those whole food, organic, crunchy granola, hippie type grocery stores called Newflower Farmer's Market. It sells non-organic as well as organic food. The prices are wicked cheap and the selection is unbelievable! In the freezer section, they had elk meat! I got really excited about this. Growing up, we ate wild meat. Whenever I go home, I have my mom make me some elk or moose or deer. Now I can go to this store and buy it! I love it! We all know how much I LOVE Farmer's Markets; well this store is like a farmer's market, except it's open everyday and has a lot more for sale! It is amazing. It's a small chain that has stores in Texas, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada and Colorado. If you are reading this and live in any of those states, go their website and see if there is a store near you: http://www.sfmarkets.com/ You won't be disappointed!

Newflower had a sale on strawberries: one pound for 99 cents. I bought a couple pounds, thinking that I would freeze them and then use them to make jam later on. But when I got home, I realized that I had nothing going on today (still no job), so I decided to make the jam. Why go through all the trouble to freeze the strawberries? I made jam last summer and it turned out pretty good, so I was confident in my abilities. This batch turned out pretty good as well. The only problem is that I only got a jar and an half due to an incident involving a clumsy girl, a dropped jar, second degree burn and jam all over the kitchen. (I am what some would call an idiot!) Anyway. Despite the mishap and all that work, it was worth it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a kitchen to clean. It looks like Strawberry Shortcake threw up in there!


1 comment:

Tiffani said...

Oh, Dear Michelle! You are so great! Just remember that spills happen. I'm so glad that you found a fun store!