Thursday, February 18, 2010

Date-iversary

Let me start out by saying I do not hate Valentine's day. We, as a couple, just don't celebrate it. This is my choice, not Husband's. I simply feel that the day doesn't really mean anything to us. I would rather celebrate a day that has a special meaning for us and for our relationship. Because we met and started dating shortly after Valentine's Day, we celebrate that instead. We call it our date-iversary. We have been together for 3 years (and married almost 2 years). Of those 36 months, we spent the first 6 months living in two different states, 5 hours apart and only saw each other on weekends. The next 15 months were spent not only living in different countries but on different continents, as Husband served his second deployment in Iraq. So, when you break it down, we have spent more time apart than we've been together. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the key to our happiness! Just kidding!
You may be wondering exactly what one does for a date-iversary? Well, it's similar to an anniversary, but not as elaborate. We exchange presents and go out for dinner. And where did we go for dinner? Well, we actually got take-out from two different restaurants: Husband got Wendy's and I got a pasta dish from an Italian place. Why compromise when you can both have your way?
Husband got me some great presents:


I have an ear infection and the Doctor recommended Mucinex to help clear it up. I haven't had a chance to pick some up, so Husband bought some and wrapped it up as one of my presents. Nothing says I love you like a box of Mucinex. I had to laugh out loud when I unwrapped this!





He also got me flowers because I told him to get me flowers. In fact the conversation went something like this:

Husband: What do you want for our date-iversary?

Me: I want flowers.

Husband: Okay

Me: I like tulips; pink ones

(The Symphony bar was all his idea)




A close up of the pink tulips. Proof that he DOES listen when I talk.

1 comment:

SongbirdMama said...

Good job, Ryan......hope you guys had a wonderful date-iversary, despite your ear infection.