Thursday, December 17, 2020

Solvang, California

When we found out we were moving to California we started researching all the places we wanted to visit. As soon as I came across Solvang I just knew we had to visit. A Danish town in the middle of California? Yes please! Solvang is absolutely beautiful. It is surrounded by mountains and rolling hills, which adds to its charm. I've never been to Europe but I imagine that it looks a lot like Solvang. We really enjoyed exploring the town and the Santa Ines Mission. 








































If you go: 
We stayed at Hadsten House in Solvang. Nice, clean room with an electric fireplace. The location was within walking distance to downtown Solvang. We would stay here again. 

Gluten Free Find:
There are a number of bakeries in Solvang. The entire town smells like baked goods, which was pretty much torture for me given my celiac. At least one bakery had GF macaroons, but they shared a display case with gluten-containing food and I wasn't willing to risk that much cross contamination. Despite the lack of gf bakery items, I was able to eat delicious food at some of the restaurants. Brekkies has a gluten free waffle that made me want to marry the chef so I could have waffles like that every day. And the chicken sandwich I had from Fitzpatrick's Tavern was one of the best I've had. They offer gluten free buns (and don't charge extra for them!!) and use a separate fryer for their fries.

No comments: