Friday, October 30, 2009

In search of Autumn

Autumn is my favourite time of year, and it is one of the main reasons I lived in New England for as long as I did. The winters there may be snowy and brutal; the springtime rainy and miserable; the summers hot and humid; but Autumn is New England's season. It can't be beat. It is what New Englanders live for. Since moving to Central Texas, I have been trying to accept the different weather patterns, but I knew that I would miss Autumn. Thankfully and fortunately, there is a State Park that for some unknown reason is full of Maple Trees. Each Autumn, the trees turn magnificent colours of red and orange. It is a very popular place to visit in October, and I was determined to see it! We made a camping reservation in July, and I counted the days until I could see the beautiful fall colours. Well, because this year has been so unusual weather-wise, the trees, which are normally ablaze with colour at this time, were still pretty green. We did get to see some pretty colours, but not as much as I was hoping for. I guess that's how it goes right? We still enjoyed being out in nature and went on a lovely hike. Maybe next year, the weather will cooperate.




I should have known the trip would not live up to my expectations when we were greeted by a tarantula as we pulled into the campground.



He's looking for the red leaves, honest. He's not a creepy stalker...



Yippee! Colour!



Look at all that green. It was a nice contrast to the trees that had turned.





No comments: