Sunday, May 9, 2021

Mountains and Dinosaurs

When you live in the desert, you sometimes find yourself desperate for some green and trees (and by "sometimes" I mean pretty much on a daily basis). A few weeks ago, I found myself longing for an escape from the beige world that surrounds me. A quick Google search for "cabins in southern California" returned results for a town called Idyllwild-Pine Cove in the San Bernardino National Forest. Intrigued, I did a little research and decided that this was the perfect place for us to get our greenery fix. We rented a cabin and spent a great weekend doing small hikes, sitting around outside, and just generally enjoying being surrounded by mountains and trees. 

We also discovered that we like bird watching. We spent a lot of time looking for and identifying various birds in the area. I want to get a California bird book and binoculars! I may have found my new hobby. 


Our backyard for the weekend

On a hike at the Nature Centre

Manzanita Tree: These trees were everywhere and cool to see. 
The red bark grows over the white and is really, really smooth.

Giant pinecone!

In front of Suicide Rock

Ernie Maxwell Trail

Can we take a moment to look at how long my hair is? 
I can put it in braids!! 

More Manzanita trees






Acorn Woodpecker

Stellar's Jay

House Finch

Western Fence Lizard

























On our way home, we stopped in Cabazon to see the world's largest dinosaurs. If you have seen the movie The Wizard, you may recognise these dinosaurs. Apparently they are also featured in PeeWee's Big Adventure, but since I haven't seen that movie so I will take Wikipedia's word for it. We have driven by this roadside attraction numerous times, but have never stopped until now. It was a fun little stop. There is a gift shop in the pink dinosaur and you can go inside the green one (we didn't do that). Gary the Elephant said this was the highlight of the trip for him. 






Gluten Free Find: 
Idyllwild Pizza Company has delicious gluten free pizza. I also recommend the greek salad from this restaurant.  

No comments: