Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I just don't get it

Today at work, the housekeeper asked me if I was going to see the new Twilight movie. When I told here I wasn't, she looked at me like I had grown another head. She then asked me if I had seen any of the movies. I, of course, have not. She looked at me as though an alien was coming out of my stomach. I told her that I had read the first book, but it wasn't my genre of story. At this point, I thought she was going to faint from shock! I just don't get it. I'm not saying it's a bad or lame series. I just didn't enjoy it. I can tell you it's about vampires (and werewolves work into the story somehow but I'm not sure of the specifics). I can tell you that Kristin somthing-or-other plays Belle (or is it Bella?) and that some young hot body actor dude plays Edward (you'd have to be living under a rock to not know about these actors! They are everywhere now!). Other than those few things, I can't tell you anything else about Twilight. Does that make me a weirdo or mean I am not normal (I am aware that other things may make me a weirdo or not normal, but when you comment, please keep in mind that I am specifically asking about my lack of enthusiasm over Twilight. Please keep all other comments about my normalcy to yourself. Thank you)? I have yet to find someone who is not obsessed with Twilight. I know they are out there but I am sure they have entered some witness protection type program in order to avoid the shame and scorn heaped on them by their friends. So, how 'bout it readers: Is there anyone out there like me who just doesn't get this whole Twilight thing?

12 comments:

SeƱora H-B said...

Me! Me! I never talk about it because everyone I know is either seriously into Twilight or take a lot of delight in mocking it (though I kind of think they secretly love it).

I know it's about a vampire that sparkles, or something like that.

I don't get it either. It's fine if other people like it, but I just don't every see myself taking part in the phenomenon.

Joe and Kara said...

I haven't seen or read the twilight stuff. It just didn't peak my interest right off. You know more than me. Does this make you feel better.

Ambler Fam said...

Hi, my name is Amy, and I am NOT obsessed with Twilight

Jenine said...

oh yeah!!! Someone else who is not infatuated with Twilight! I too have not read any books or seen any movies. I too get strange looks from others who think I'm strange. Seriously, I just don't think it's my genre, I don't think I'd like it. you are one of very few women I know who is not falling over crazy about Twilight....thank you!

Wright Family said...

I'm not into it either Michelle..... I've read the books & seen the first movie & that's about all I can take. The books were so-so, I've definitely read better & I wanted to gag after watching the first movie..... mainly cause of the girl who plays Bella, I can't stand her! I tried to watch the 2nd, but got about half an hour into it & had to turn it off cause of her. I enjoyed the cinematography of the film & the music, & even the story line a little bit, but I can't stand the actors/characters.

SongbirdMama said...

I have absolutely ZERO interest in anything to do with the Twilight series. I have NOT read any of the books, I do NOT intend to see any of the movies. Sorry but albino, anemic, brooding vampires are just NOT my thing.

Alicia said...

See Michelle... you are not alone! I, like your other commentators, am not interested in the Twilight stuff... have not read the books... have not seen the movies... :)

Travis and Mardi said...

Sign me up. I've never read any of the books or seen the movies. I did read a short excerpt in a book review once, but it was absolute drivel and poorly written. This may not matter to people too much if the story is compelling, but its just never interested me. It seems like there's always another movie coming out but I haven't been noticing enough to keep track. (How many of these are we going to have to endure before it's over, anyway?) I've seen pictures of the lead actor, but he just looks ill and anemic to me.

CS said...

all i know is that twilight is love-hate for me. i love it so much i hate it, and i hate it so much i love it. i love to hate it. i hate to love it.

Ruachel said...

Michelle, you are so funny. Although I have read the books and seen the movies, I do not think you are a weirdo or not normal. The books were poorly written and the first two movies were over-the-top with high school romance and Edward's hairy, white body. The story line is kind of fun and the third movie wasn't too bad, but Twilight is not something to put on your "before I die list."

I also know LOTS of people who flat out didn't like the books or movies. I would say you are normal, based on this criteria.

iemily said...

K, so I've read the books, seen the movies...but I'm not obsessed.

In my defence I read them BEFORE all the hype started. To me the most fascinating part was that a mormon mommy had a dream....wrote it into a few books, and made a zillion dollars!!

I think they are entertaining...and the first movie had so much cheesiness that it was actually funny....

So yeah....there's my take.

Ryan said...

I'm not certain I'm ready to say yer "normal" with regard to anything but this Twilight thing...

I will say that the first book (the only one I've read) was very poorly written. I can see how both of my Grade Six kids who can read on grade level were obsessed with it--because it's written very simply and provides very little intellectual stimulation. It's completely geared toward "tweeners" and I think it's pathetic how adult women are obsessed with something so juvenile.

Admittedly, the first movie (again, the only one I intend to see) was interestingly done. I don't know why, but I prefer the movie to the book. I think they paralleled the book fairly well. It seems like when books are made into movies they leave out crucial parts or focus on irrelevant portions of the novel. It's extremely irritating.

Whatever the case, the movie and the book are not my favourite. Let me make that very clear! If given the opportunity to read or watch it over again--for the first time--I wouldn't bother.

It reminds me of the "Harry Potter" obsession from several years ago. I really get frustrated when people read something just because it's popular. Seriously, just read something because YOU are interested in it--not the rest of the world. Not even kidding.