Monday, March 22, 2010

It's hard to be two

I work as a nanny. I take care of two little girls, one who is four and one who is almost two. The two year old has become obsessed with birds lately (which, come to think of it, is probably my fault because I often use birds to distract her in the car). The other day we were on a walk when we spotted a hawk flying overhead. We stopped and watched it land in a small wooded area across the river. The two year old got really excited, turned to me and said "Catch bird?" I, of course, said that we couldn't catch the bird because it was too far away. Cue meltdown; full blown, whining, crying meltdown. With tears streaming down her face, she looked at me, and in between sobs said "Catch bird *sob*sniff* please? *wail*sob*sniff* Catch bird?" I tried my best to explain to her why we couldn't catch it, but she probably didn't understand: I was laughing too hard. If laughing at a toddler's meltdown over a bird makes me a bad person, then so be it. It was one of the funniest things I have ever encountered as a nanny, and I will laugh about it for weeks to come.

No comments: